Monday, August 24, 2009

Mad Max, Birth of a Road Warrior.....holster

I recently had the pleasure of creating a custom holster based off the hoslter worn by "Max" in "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior." I also had the pleasure of working with a Mad Max fan who supplied a plethora of screen captures from just about every angle, and who suggested I document the process of how the holster was created. Well....here goes!

The "un-photographable" portion of the project is in creating the pattern. Thanks again to my Mad Max fan who so gratiously mailed me his remake of Max's shotgun, I was able trace the outline of the gun, and then based off of the screen shots, create a pattern that captured the lines and curves of the original holster.


Now for some images!


All leather goods start out like this...just a big roll of once upon a time cow.



To get the pieces you need, you take your pattern which has been put on tracing paper, and put that on top of the dampened leather. Take a pen and get to tracing.


This is a picture of the raw pieces of leather which have had pieces punched out where rivets will be.



Next you stain the leather, and set the rivets. Note, the first and last rivets also hold the thigh straps in place, so they are not yet set in this picture.



Now the fun part. Weathering. I won't give you all my secrets, but suffice it to say it can be a bit theraputic!



And here is the finished product. Check out MLW's Etsy shop to purchase your Road Warrior Holster!



Special thanks again to my Mad Max Fan who was so helful in the development of this holster!









No comments:

Post a Comment